There are two qualifications available under Homestar: Homestar Assessors, or Homestar Practitioners.
Homestar Assessors – use the Homestar tool for design purposes or to assess and certify homes with a Homestar rating.
Homestar Practitioners – may undertake or assist in the design or building of a Homestar project, but will not compile a formal rating submission themselves.
The course focuses on teaching an in-depth understanding of the theory and application of the Homestar rating tool; mastery of conducting an environmental assessment of residential stand-alone and attached homes; the processes involved in acquiring and collating appropriate documentation, and managing and producing a Homestar Appraisal, Design Rating and Built Rating. It is a two-day course:
- 1 day of classroom tuition
- 1 day practical application of the tool
After the course participants are required to complete a practical written examination plus one supervised assessment.
We recommend Homestar Assessor trainees have a good understanding of sustainability, and/or experience in audit, survey work or building practice. One of the following professional qualifications is recommended:
- Licensed Building Practitioner Level 2 and 3
- Registered valuer, engineer, architect, building scientist/technologist, quantity surveyor
- HERS Assessor
The Homestar Practitioner course is for people who are interested in undertaking or assisting in the design or building of a Homestar project, but will not be compiling a formal rating submission. The qualification is aimed at anyone with an interest in residential sustainability, and will suit those in advisory, commissioning or consulting roles who wish to have a comprehensive knowledge of the Homestar rating tool. It is a one-day course comprising classroom tuition.
After the course participants will be asked to complete a final assessment.
Benefits of a Homestar qualification
- A Homestar Assessor logo and registration number, or a Homestar Practitioner logo
- An online certificate that you can link to or embed in, online media
- Details listed in the Homestar Assessor or Homestar Practitioner directory, which is accessed by consumers and industry.
- Ongoing technical updates, news and access to events and training
Please note, Homestar Practitioners are not able to submit projects for Design or Built Ratings. A Homestar Assessor is required for any Rating.
Homestar Practitioners may upgrade their qualification to Homestar Assessor by attending day two of the Homestar Assessor training programme.
The Homecoach qualification, available prior to 2014, is no longer offered.