Homestar Practitioner Qualification
This course is a practical introduction to the structure and requirements of the Homestar Certified Rating Tool. The Practitioner Pathway is for people who are interested in undertaking or assisting in the design or building of a Homestar project, but will not be compiling a formal rating submission themselves. The qualification will also suit those in advisory, commissioning or consulting roles who wish to have a comprehensive knowledge of the Homestar residential rating tool.
Homestar Practitioner benefits
- access to the Certified Manual and Tool
- access to most of the downloadable technical information & templates.
- access to the Homestar Practitioner logo
- an online certificate that you can link to or embed in, online media
- listing on the NZGBC website’s Homestar Practitioner Directory
This course is targeted at design professionals, builders, site managers, sub-contractors, landscape designers, developers, project managers and others with an interest in residential sustainability. It provides a general understanding of the Homestar tool and its requirements.
Homestar Practitioners are not able to submit projects for Design or Built Ratings. A Homestar Assessor is required for a Certified Rating.
The Homestar Practitioner course consists of one day of classroom tuition. Participants will be given an overview of the structure and principles behind the Homestar tool. They will review real drawings and specifications using the Certified Manual and will be asked to consider how a high Design or Built Homestar rating could be achieved.
The Homestar Practitioner qualification will be awarded to participants on successful completion of an online exam. Participants will be provided with a link to the exam on completion of the training course and can complete it at a time and place that suits them best. The exam has 80 questions and participants have a time limit of 3 hours to complete the exam.
Please note: The exam link will be valid for 1 month after training is complete. If the exam is not completed within that time the link will expire and participants will not be able to achieve this qualification without further study and/or cost.
Transition to Homestar Assessor Qualification.
Practitioners who wish move to the Homestar Assessor qualification can do so on successful completion of day 2 of the Homestar assessor course and the associated exam and supervised practice. Participants will not be required to attend or pay for day 1 of this training again.
|Early-bird pricing||Standard pricing|
If you are unsure of your organisation’s membership status, please contact NZGBC prior to registration. See course booking page for early-bird pricing deadline.
The course fee includes:
- course workbook
- morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea
- the Practitioner Exam
- the Homestar Manual (PDF version)
All costs are exclusive of GST
Please read our Terms and Conditions related to course attendance and cancellations.
Renewal, CPD and other professional development points.
NZGBC requires holders of Homestar qualifications to renew their qualifications every two years. Prior to Qualification renewal the holder must have accrued two Further Education points. Information on FE points and qualifications’ renewal can be found on the website here.
NZGBC has negotiated with other professional bodies for CPD recognition of the Homestar Practitioner qualification. A list of the participating organisations and the allocated points follows.
NZGBC will make all efforts to inform participating organisations of the attendance of their members. However It is the responsibility of the qualification holder to ensure these points are allocated.
Industry CPD points:
For attendance at this training course:
- NZRAB - New Zealand Registered Architects receive 40 CPD points
- NZIBS - New Zealand Institute of Building Surveyors members may claim CPD hours
- NZIQS - New Zealand Institute of Quantity Surveyors members may claim CPD hours(Short Course/Education – Column 9)
- IPENZ - Institute of Professional Engineers New Zealand members may claim CPD hours (Competency 11)
- LBP - Licensed Building Practitioners may claim 12 skills maintenance points
- NZIOB - New Zealand Institute of Building members may claim 6 CPD credits (as per CPD Table)
- ADNZ -Members ofArchitectural Designers New Zealand receive 8 CPD points