Who we are
The New Zealand Green Building Council (NZGBC) is a not-for-profit, industry organisation dedicated to accelerating the development and adoption of market-based green building practices. The Council achieves these aims through:
- Setting standards of industry best practice, primarily through the adaptation and development of environmental rating systems for the built environment;
- Influencing policy through leading and demonstrating best practice, advocacy through industry networks and supporting a research agenda that will influence the market;
- Education and training for all areas of the building industry value chain, through professional continuing education, selected green building modules and cross industry collaboration with other industry organisations; and
- Providing access to networks, information and the latest global resources for our members to actively lead the New Zealand market.
The NZGBC was established in July 2005 and in 2006 became a member of the World Green Building Council (WGBC). The WGBC is an international not-for-profit organisation that aims to move the global property industry and built environment towards sustainability, with Green Building Councils being established in various countries around the world.
NZGBC is also a member of the Construction Industry Council. The Council exists to:
- promote the interests of the broader construction industry to central government
- create conditions in which the sector can prosper
- work together for the general good.