PRIVACY, TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Protecting your privacy
- via our websites, (www.nzgbc.org.nz and www.homefit.org.nz) and our mobile and web applications;
- as part of our membership programme; and
- in connection with services provided by NZGBC, including our rating tools (currently HomeFit, NABERSNZ, Green Star and Homestar), and courses, events and webinars we hold.
NZGBC is committed to protecting your privacy and is bound by New Zealand Privacy Principles set out in the Privacy Act 1993 (“Privacy Act”).
The NZGBC recognises the importance of safeguarding your personal information.
The types of information we collect about you will generally fit into the following categories:
1. Information about you or your property which you provide or we otherwise collect in connection with providing goods and services to you (such as our rating tools and results from property assessments; or information you provide in connection with attending our events courses and webinars). This may include:
- your identification details, including your name, age, date of birth and address;
- payment information (for services you are required to pay for);
- data we generate or collect in providing goods and services to you, such as the results of assessments undertaken in respect of your property (eg your home's HomeFit rating);
- your queries and other written or verbal communications with us;
- any other information you provide or we or an assessor collects in connection with an assessment of your property; and
- any other information that we are required by law to collect about you or otherwise reasonably necessary in connection with the supply of our goods and services.
2. Information generated by our and our suppliers' systems in relation to the use of our websites and online tools (see the information on cookies and IP address tracking in section 8 below).
3. Information we collect from third parties, including:
- information provided by assessors engaged to assess your home against our standards and requirements;
- our sponsors and commercial partners;
- social media platforms and public information service providers such as public registers, where that information has been made publicly available;
- commercial information service providers such as market researchers, data and/or analytics providers and advertising networks;
- your authorised representatives;
- our data partners;
- our business partners to improve, optimise and personalise your experience of our products and services; and
- any other sources considered appropriate by us in relation to the services we provide.
3. Use and disclosure of Personal Information
- We use and disclose the personal information we collect:
- to provide our goods and services to you;
- to contact you in response to a query you have made;
- to provide further information to you about other websites and services we consider may be of interest to you;
- for marketing, promotional and publicity purposes by us;
- to improve, optimise and personalise your experience of our products and services;
- for data analysis and research purposes. For example, we may use and share data with other organisations so we or they can gain insights, such as macro-trends in the property market; or we may provide results of a property's assessment against our standards (eg HomeFit) to property websites or local councils for inclusion on the LIM report for that property;
- to provide analytics to clients and business partners such as on their project performance and overall use of our systems and services;
- to comply with laws and regulations;
- for our other legitimate business purposes, including to achieve our vision of ensuring all homes and buildings in Aotearoa green and sustainable, making healthier, happier New Zealanders; and
- for any other uses that you authorise.
For the purposes described above, we may share your personal information with a range of organisations, including our service providers, suppliers, agents, business partners, sub-contractors, assessors and installers, and regulatory bodies or government agencies. For example, we may disclose your personal information to third parties who:
- provide marketing and digital services;
- conduct data analysis and data matching services or who we otherwise have data sharing arrangements with;
- conduct market research, surveys and analysis;
- host our servers and websites;
- provide IT services including data processing, storage and back-up;
- process payments; or
- are our lawyers, financial advisors and accountants.
4. Voluntary Submission of Information
You may choose not to provide us with your personal information, but if you do not, we may not be able to provide some or all of our products and services to you.
5. Holding, correction and updating of personal information
Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and held by us either in paper files held at Level 2, 205 Queen Street, Auckland CBD or electronically in secure data centres located in New Zealand or overseas, including on servers owned by our cloud services providers (currently our primary datacentre is located in Sydney).
Under the Privacy Act you have the right to request access to, and correction of, personal information we hold about you. Please contact us if you wish to access or request correction of personal information we hold about you (our contact details are at the end of this policy).
6. Protection and security of personal information
We take responsible steps to protect all personal information we collect or hold from misuse and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
7. Other sites
Our websites and applications contain links to third party websites, for your convenience and information. When you access a third-party website, please understand that we are not responsible for the privacy practices of that website. We suggest that you review the privacy policies of each site you visit.
8. Cookies and IP address tracking
You will not be able to maintain a logged in session if cookies are not used.
Out websites may also detect and use your IP address or domain name for internal traffic monitoring and capacity purposes or to otherwise administer the websites. No personal information is obtained, rather the patterns of usage of visitors to the website may be tracked for the purposes of providing improved service and content based on aggregate or statistical review of user site traffic patterns.
10. Contacting us and Complaints
Address: Level 2, Tower 1, 205 Queen Street, Auckland CBD
Telephone: 09 3793996
You can find out more about your rights under the Privacy Act 1993, and complain to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, at www.privacy.org.nz.