Green Star - Communities
Green Star - Communities assesses the planning, design and construction of large-scale development projects including precincts, neighbourhoods entire communities.
It helps everyone from property developers through to policy makers to assess and promote the development of sustainable communites against best practice sustinability benchmarks.
The Green Star - Communities rating tool was originally developed by the Green Building Council of Australia (GBCA). In 2016, the NZGBC adapted the rating tool to suit New Zealand-based projects.
It expands the NZGBC's suite of rating tools, previously from only buildings and fitouts, to now include large-scale developments. This rating tool will ensure even more New Zealanders are able to live, work and play in sustainable places.
Green Star - Communities assesses projects against a holistic set of distinct social, environmental and economic categories:
- The Governance category aims to ensure Green Star – Communities projects have a strong governance framework in place by setting benchmarks that encourage developers to operate transparently.
- The Liveability category aims to ensure development projects are diverse, affordable, safe, inclusive and improve the wellbeing of those that live, work and play within them.
- Economic Prosperity
- The Economic Prosperity category aims to ensure development projects facilitate business diversity, education, skills development and productivity
- The Environment category aims to ensure development projects are less resource intensive and prioritise practices that reduce a community’s impact on land, water and the atmosphere.
- The Green Star Innovation category promotes holistic sustainable solutions in the built environment, and encourages projects in investing resources into valuable outcomes.
The Green Star – Communities rating tool helps both governments and development teams aiming to deliver sustainable communities around New Zealand to:
- provide diverse, affordable, inclusive and healthy places to live, work and play
- protect, maintain and restore the natural environment by reducing developments’ ecological footprints
- receive recognition for demonstrated leadership and commitment to sustainability
- achieve real value for money through demonstrated whole-of-life cost savings
- encourage opportunities for business diversity, innovation and economic development
Projects are rated on a scale of 0-6 Stars with 4 Star considered best practice, 5 Star national excellence, and 6 Star world leadership.
For more information, please see the below links:
- NZGBC fact sheet on the rating tool's use in New Zealand.
- GBCA webpage on the Australian version of Green Star - Communities.
If you're interested in creating a Green Star - Communities project the NZGBC will provide project teams with complimentary technical support throughout the certification process to ensure successful sustainability outcomes are achieved.
Do get in touch. It would be great to take this ahead with you.
If you have any questions about the process or would like to register a project, please contact the Green Star team on (09) 951 0733 or firstname.lastname@example.org.