Mason Brothers Building
21 November 2018
The building is designed in line with the Wynyard Quarter Sustainability Framework. In 2019, Mason Bros. was awarded both a 6 Green Star rating and a 5 Star NABERSNZ rating, New Zealand's first to achieve the highest possible rating for environmental impact from the New Zealand Green Building Council.
Refurbished warehouse conversion to
Project Name: Wynyard Quarter Innovation Precinct, Mason Brothers Building
Address: 139 Pakenham Street West, Wynyard Quarter, Auckland
Points Awarded: 78 points
Rating Achieved: 6 Green Star Custom Built
Building Owner: Precinct Properties New Zealand Limited
Architect: Warren & Mahoney
Building Services Engineer: Mott MacDonald
Project Manager: BECA
Main contractor: NZ Strong
GSAP: Anthony Calderone and Warner Brunton, Mott MacDonald
The key sustainable features of the building are:
- Comprehensive commissioning and building tuning requirement specified to meet the best practice standard set by Green Star.
- Good environmental management practices adopted during construction to minimise impact on the local environment.
- Over 70% of construction waste by weight required to be recycled and hence to be diverted from landfill.
- Inclusion of Environmental Management Operation rules in Tenant Lease Agreement
- 96% of common uses PVC products required to be compliant with the best practice Guidelines for PVC
- 94% of timbers specified to be FSC certified
- All lightings scheduled to be LED.
- Good insulation levels to reduce heating requirement.
- Energy metering provided to allow monitoring and responsible use of energy.
- Water efficient fittings to allow conservation of water if used responsibly.
- No landscape irrigation requirements.
- Low flow water fittings
- Stormwater from the site is filtered to meet the required standard
Innovation points awarded
- Pre-approved Innovation for Waterfront Auckland – Exceeding TRA-1 and one point for Smart Precinct. (2 points total)
- Innovation Challenge - Market Intelligence (1 point)
- Innovation Challenge – Financial Transparency (1 point)
- Innovation Challenge – Material Lifecycle Impacts (5 points)