St Mary's Catholic Church
20 December 2019
St Mary’s Catholic Church is a new build church to replace the original church that was destroyed following the Christchurch earthquakes in 2010/11. The construction consists of steel portal frame with concrete wall panels, concrete floor, and a lightweight roof. The new church is located substantially in the same position as the original church and will be functionally and structurally connected with the adjacent existing parish centre.
Rating awarded: 4 Green Star Custom
Project location: 100 Lonsdale Street, New Brighton, Christchurch
Building owner: Catholic Diocese of Christchurch
Architect: Paul Foley
Structural / Civil Engineer: Chris Watson
Project Manager: Shaun Mitchell
Service Engineer: Thomas Spencer
Quantity surveyor: Rawlinsons
GSAP: Shaun Mitchell, Vanessa McGrath, Mike Baker
Acoustic Consultant: Stephen Chiles
Key sustainability features
- The building reuses the existing parish building where possible.
- The new church is constructed from sustainability sourced materials
- Designed for optimal daylight while considering solar gains and the space´s purpose.
- The air conditioning system serving the main church hall is controlled by CO2 sensors to reduce energy consumption during period of lower occupancy levels.
The following sustainable features have been recognized under its Green Star rating:
- Enhanced Commissioning and Environmental Management practices adopted
- Energy efficient HVAC systems
- Minimisation of construction waste
- Good levels of daylight in the church
- Car parking minimisation
- Proximity to public transport
- End of trip facilities for cyclists
- Reduced potable water consumption
- Water efficient fixtures and fittings
- Building re-use
- Low environmental impact applied coatings, wall linings, insulation and floor coverings
- Low VOC flooring, applied coatings and adhesives and sealants
- Responsibly sourced timber
- Lower environmental impact concrete
- Zero ODP refrigerants
- Reduced Insulant ODP
- Design to eliminate the risk of Legionella
Innovation points awarded
1 innovation point was awarded for being the first church in New Zealand to achieve Green Star rating.